Learn the different styles of Sushi, from vegetarian Sushi to the freshest fish. You will be guided on how to properly cook sushi rice, preparing wasabi, alternate sauces for dipping and of course proper technique in rolling sushi. Learn the difference between Maki and Ura Maki, Nigiri , TeMaki and Gari.
Contrary to popular opinion, Sushi is fairly easy to prepare. The most important thing in preparing Sushi is to have all your ingredients prepared and ready to go “Mis en Place”. Once you are prepared, rolling and cutting is a breeze. Use your imagination when choosing ingredients for making Sushi, just keep in mind that you do not want to overstuff the roll. In this roll, Salmon and Avocado are used as the dominant flavor and texture ingredients.
2 Cup Sushi Rice
1 1/2Cup Water
1/4 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
11/2 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Wasabi Powder
1/3 tsp Water
6-8 ea Nori, Sheets
1 Lb Salmon Filet, Fresh, No Skin, No Bones, Cut Into 1/2 Inch Strips
1 Med Haas Avocado, Peeled And Pitted, Sliced Into Strips
2 Med Cucumber, Peeled, Seeded And Cut Into 1/4 Inch Strips
1/4 Cup Sesame Seed, Toasted
1/4 Cup Pickled Ginger
1. Rinse the rice placing rice in a pot, filling it water, swishing it around a bit with your fingers and draining. You will see the water becomes a milky color. Do this three or four times, until the water runs clear.
2. Add the 2 cups of water, bring to a simmer, cover and cook till done (about 20-30 minutes) make sure the heat is on low and the rice is on a very low simmer.
3. In a separate pot, add rice wine vinegar, salt and sugar
4. Heat till sugar and salt are dissolved (you don’t even need to bring this to a boil, just heat, stir and set aside)
5. When rice is cooked, remove lid, add vinegar mixture and stir
6. Set aside and let cool completely
1. Just add this tiny bit of water and wasabi and stir till paste is created
2. Form into a cone and set aside
1. Prepare all your ingredients and have them in a container right next to the work surface you will work on
2. Fill 1 cup of water and place next to prepared sushi rice (you will dip your fingers in the water to prevent the sushi rice from sticking to your fingers)
3. Have toasted sesame seeds in either a shaker or a small bowl with a teaspoon in the bowl to sprinkle seeds with (your fingers will be wet and it will be impossible to sprinkle with your fingers)
4. Place bamboo sushi mat on your work table
5. Place nori on top of bamboo mat
6. Dip your fingers in water and remove prepared sushi rice with your clean hands (about 1/2 cup)
7. Place in lower 2/3’s of nor sheet, leaving a 1 inch strip of nor on top (no rice)
8. With the tips of your fingers, spread rice evenly and thinly over lower 2/3’s of nor sheet (dip your finger tips in the water to make this easier, go easy with the water, you don’t want to drench the rice)
9. Sprinkle the spread rice on the nor sheet with 1 tsp of toasted sesame seeds, evenly
10. Place the salmon strip, avocado and cucumber in the lower half, (closest to you) of the nor and rice
11. Carefully, roll the nor and rice over the other ingredients, away from you, with the bamboo mat assisting you
12. When you get to the end where there is no rice, dip your fingers in water and lightly dampen the top of the nor (this will help the nor to stick and seal)
13. Place on a clean plate or platter and set aside
14. Repeat with remaining ingredients until all ingredients are finished
15. To serve, cut the ends off each side of the sushi
16. Cut each roll in half and then each half, in half again and finally each of those halves in half again
Place on serving platter along with prepared wasabi cone, pickled ginger and a small bowl of Japanese Soy Sauce.