Description: Pecan Pie is a Southern USA tradition. I’ve added chopped chocolate, giving this classic a deeper richness, you can leave it out if you are a purest, either way, this pie is hard to beat.
Pie Crust Ingredients:
2 ½ cup Flour
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Sugar
8 oz Butter, unsalted, cut into pieces (225 Gr.)
1/3 cup Water (iced or very cold)
3 ea Eggs, large
1 cup Corn Syrup, light
1/3 cup Brown Sugar, light
1 Tbsp Molasses
3 Tbsp Butter, unsalted, melted
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Flour
3 cup Pecan Halves
1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate, cut into chunks (4 oz or 100 gr)
Pie Crust Preparation:
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine flour, salt and sugar, pulse to blend.
- Add butter pieces and pulse processor until mixture looks like coarse meal (pea sized)
- Add ice water and pulse processor till dough is crumbly but holds together (if too dry at another Tablespoon of water).
- Hint: Do Not Over mix or dough will not be flaky. Remove from processor when the mixture has a pea size texture. Place this mixture (it will not feel like a dough yet) in a separate bowl, scrape out of processor and work the dough with your hand till it comes together.
- Be careful when removing the dough from steel blade.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface a couple of times so dough feels like it holds together nicely.
- Cut dough in two and form into two disks, about ¾ inch think.
- Lightly dust each disk with flour and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate till firm (at least 1 hour)
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out on lightly flour surface.
- Place rolled out dough into pie pan. Crimp edges of dough around top of pie pan, creating a nice ribbed edge.
- Return dough lined pie pan to fridge and chill for about ½ hour to 1 hour, while preparing the filling.
- Preheat oven to 375F or 190C
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, corn syrup, sugar, molasses, melted butter, vanilla, salt and flour till smooth.
- Add pecans and chocolate; mix well.
- Pour mixture into chilled piecrust and place onto a sheet pan covered with parchment (to make cleaning up easy).
- Place pie into preheated 375F or 190C oven and bake 50-60 minutes (till pie jiggles slightly in center when shaken).
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting (about 5 hours)
- Serve with whipped cream or cream anglaise or vanilla ice-cream or caramel ice-cream or Bourbon Sauce.