Hearty, healthy, thick and delicious describe this wonderful Italian masterpiece of soup. There are so many recipes for this soup because it was created to be healthy and filling, using vegetables in season. Some say the Roman Legions marched with minestrone and pasta in their bellies. Vegetarian or with meat, minestrone is bound to please
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 med Onion, peeled and diced small
1 Tbsp Garlic, fresh, minced
1 med Red Pepper, seeded and diced small
1 med Green Pepper, seeded and diced small
2 stalk Celery, leaves removed and diced small
1 basket Mushroom, quartered
1 med Zucchini, diced small
1 med Yellow Zucchini, diced small
9 ea Green Beans, ends snapped off, cut into 1 inch sections
2 med Carrot, peeled and diced small
2 ea Bay Leaf
1/2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Basil
1 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1/4 tsp Chili Flakes (to taste, depends on how hot you like it)
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1 tsp Black Pepper, Ground
1 tsp Salt
1 -15 Oz Can Tomatoes chopped or diced
1- 15 Oz Can Red Kidney Bean
6 cup Water
1 cup Elbow Macaroni, Cooked
6 ea Basil Fresh Leaves, for garnish
2 Tbsp Parmesan, Shaved For Garnish (optional)
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil and saut onions till they begin to brown, add garlic.
- Add peppers, celery, let cook about 5-7 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables, dry herbs and seasoning.
- Cook about 10 minutes then add soy sauce, tomatoes, kidney beans and water.
- Let simmer about 1 hour then cool.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Add elbow macaroni right before serving (otherwise the pasta will swell).
- Garnish with shaved parmesan (optional) and fresh basil leaves.