This is a wonderful dish and one I never dared take off the menu, as my guests would always and repeatedly request it. It profiles the exquisiteness of the Ahi Tuna; its simplicity makes it a true classic. Be sure to purchase only the freshest and finest Ahi available. It is important to have your fish market cut the Ahi in a large piece as you need to have the tuna look about the same size as a 5 oz Filet Mignon Steak. In Israel, you can purchase the Tuna in most supermarkets in the frozen section. Look for the thickest, pinkest pieces and packages that have no frost inside of them.
1 cup Soy Sauce
4 oz Ginger, Fresh, Peeled & Chopped Rough
2 oz Garlic, Chopped Rough
1 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice, Freshly Squeezed
3 med Onion, Peeled, Rough Chop
1 cup Sugar
2 cup Water
4-6 6 Oz Ahi Tuna Filet, Cut Like 5 Oz Filet Mignon Of Beef
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1/4 cup Water
2 Tbsp Pickled Ginger (for garnish)
- In a large bowl add all ingredients EXCEPT tuna
- Mix well and remove 2 cups of marinade putting it into a small saucepan for later
- Place Ahi Tuna filets into marinade and let sit at least 3 hours, covered in the refrigerator
- When Tuna has marinated remove, dry off
- Heat grill to high (prefer BBQ and if none is available use frying pan with toasted sesame oil heated to smoking point),. Make sure the gill top is clean and oil the grill by taking a paper towel and putting olive oil on it, then rub the grill.
- Rub Tuna with olive oil and place on hot grill, let sit for 4 minutes, turn to make an x mark. Continue till all sides have been marked. If you have no grill, pan fry in hot pan with toasted sesame oil (make sure you heat pan so oil reaches smoke point). Tuna should be rare, at most medium rare or you will loose the wonderful taste of the Tuna
- To serve:
- Place vegetable of choice in either side of plate, on top, in center of plate, add Mashed Potatoes, place grilled Tuna on top of potatoes, ladle tuna glaze on top of tuna and let it drip around the potatoes.
- Top Tuna with Pickled Ginger.
- Bring marinade to boil (the reason we separated the marinade before is because once the fish or any protein is added, the structure of the marinade changes and when heated loosed its glistening appearance)
- Combine cornstarch and cool water and mix thoroughly
- Slowly add to marinade and stir till thickened
- Strain and keep warm