Description: This is one of the simplest crusts to prepare and one of the most delicious. It goes well with all sorts of cheesecakes and cream filled pies, such as banana or coconut cream. Adding a smear of chocolate to the crust adds depth to this already wonderful crust and also prevents the crust from becoming overly soggy from the filling.
4 cup Graham Cracker crumbs
½ cup Sugar
½ tsp Cinnamon, ground
1/8 tsp Nutmeg, ground
8 oz Butter, unsalted, melted (225 gr)
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C
- Place graham crackers in food processor fitted with a steel blade and grind till powdered or purchase graham cracker crumbs.
- Place all dry ingredients into large stainless steel bowl and mix.
- Pour melted butter onto dry ingredients and mix well.
- Place enough crumb mixture into a pie pan to coat bottom and sides well, press into pan firmly.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven about 10-15 minutes till lightly golden.
- Hint: Optional: (When pie crust is finished and still in oven, place ¼ cup chocolate chips or chopped semi-sweet chocolate into the pie pan, let sit for 1-2 minutes longer, to melt.
- Remove from oven and immediately and very carefully; spread the melted chocolate over the crust (with a pastry brush) till entirely covered.
- Let crust and chocolate cool completely before filling.
- If using chocolate to coat the crust, place in refrigerator for ½ hour to harden the chocolate coating before filling with warm cream. (The chocolate coating gives and added depth and richness to this simple crust, it also help prevent the crust from getting soggy with a cream filling).