This is great comfort food for a winter’s evening or special Shabbat. Slow cooking is the key here, as in all braised meat and things good, slowly, slowly wins the game. This dish falls off the bone and melts in your mouth, with Asian highlights, it’s really good. Serve with your favorite mashed potato, I like mine with roasted garlic mashed.
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper, Ground
1 cup Flour
6 ea Lamb Shank
1/4 cup Olive Oil
3 ea Star Anise
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Red Wine
5 med Onion, Diced
3 ea Bay Leaf
1/2 tsp Black Pepper, Ground
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic, Fresh
3 Tbsp Ginger, Fresh, Minced
2 cup Demi Glace (or canned Beef Bouillon)
3 cup Crushed Tomato
2 ea Cinnamon Stick
3 stalk Celery, Diced
5 med Carrot, Diced
6 ea Lamb Shank, Finished
6 portionMashed Potato
Browning the Shanks:
- Combine flour, salt and pepper, mix well.
- Dredge lamb shanks in seasoned flour, shake off excess.
- In a large braising pan heat olive oil till smoking point, add lamb shanks, only as many fit in pan, brown all sides, remove from pan and set aside.
- Continue this till all lamb shanks are nice and brown.
Preparing the Braising Liquid:
- When all lamb shanks are finished browning and set aside, use the same pan, without washing it and add onions, brown, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, add remaining vegetables and spices, stir and continue to cook on med-high for 10 15 minutes, stirring from the bottom a few times.
- Deglaze pan with red wine
- Add crushed tomato and demi-glaze, bring to simmer, add lamb shanks, and cover braising pan, place covered pan in preheated 300F oven.
- Cook (braise) covered for 3-4 hours. Check doneness on lamb shanks by piercing with a fork, meat should fall off bone. When this happens, shanks are done.
- Remove from oven and very carefully, with a slotted spoon and tongs, remove lamb shanks from braising liquid and put aside.
- Reserve braising liquid and vegetables.
- Place starch (i.e. Roasted garlic mashed potatoes) in center of plate, lean lamb shanks against potatoes and with a spoon or ladle, drape braising liquid and vegetables over lamb.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, serve