This is a great topping for steaks of all kinds. Sweet and crispy go so well together and compliment any steak so perfectly. Also great on top of some creamy mashed potatoes. Look at them as onion rings on steroids.
5 Ea Shallot , Peeled And Sliced Very Thin
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Black Pepper , Ground
Pinch Cayenne Pepper
2 Cup Canola Oil
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Heat canola oil in large saucepan till hot (350F-375F if you have a candy thermometer) otherwise put a drop of water in the oil and when it spurts the oil is hot enough (be careful because the water could spurt the oil onto your skin, ouch).
- Place shallots in flour mixture and coat thoroughly, making sure all shallots are covered with flour.
- Place coated shallots in a strainer and shake off excess flour.
- Fry shallots in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place in bowl that has been lined with paper towels to absorb extra oil.
- Adjust seasoning.