Description: Roasting a chicken may seem the easiest thing to do in the world and it is. However, if you love your chicken with crispy skin on the outside and moist meat on the inside, there is a proper way to do it. This recipe will take you through the steps so that you too can experience the chicken divine. The secret to crispy skin is a high heat preheated oven and making sure the chicken skin is completely dry before roasting. This chicken is best served soon after finishing in order to fully enjoy the delight of crispy skin (on Shabbat the chicken will still be delicious but the skin will not remain crispy due to keeping it warm on the platah).
1ea Chicken, whole (3 lb. or 1 ½ kg)
To taste Salt
To taste Pepper, black, ground
5 sprigs Thyme, fresh (or rosemary) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 F or 230 C
- Pat the entire chicken dry with paper towel, (this is the most important part).
- Lightly coat roasting pan with olive oil.
- After making sure the chicken is completely dry, season with salt and pepper.
- Place thyme under skin by wedging the tips of your fingers between the skin and the meat; be careful not to tear the skin, and then carefully wedging the herbs between the skin and meat. This is optional; although lifting the skin away from the meat helps the hot air circulate, thus contributing towards the crispy skin (together with great flavor). If you have trouble with separating the skin, just place the herbs in the chicken’s cavity.
- Place the chicken into the oiled roasting pan breast side up, facing you.
- Place chicken into preheated 450 F or 230 C oven for 15-20 minutes (to begin the browning and crisping of the skin).
- After 15-20 minutes of high heat cooking, lower the oven temperature to 350 F or 180 C and continue cooking till done. (60-90 minutes – to test for doneness poke the skin between the breast and leg with the tip of a knife, if the juices run clear, the chicken is done) If you have a meat thermometer the internal temperature should read 180 F or 83 C.
- When chicken is fully cooked, remove from oven and allow to rest, uncovered for at least 5-10 minutes before cutting. (If you cover the chicken, the steam from its heat will soften the skin)
- Carve and serve immediately.
Tip: Estimated Roasting Times for whole Chicken:
For an unstuffed Chicken:
2 ½ – 3 lb. (1 1 ½ kg) 60-90 minutes
3 ½ – 4 lb. (1 ½ kg 2 kg) 80-100 minutes
4 ½ – 5 lb. (2 kg 2 ½ kg) 90-110 minutes
5 6 lb. (2 ½ kg 3 kg) 110-130 minutesShare