If you have ever been to the Caribbean, you have had Jerk Chicken and have probably loved it. Everyone there has their own magic recipe, each a bit different but all nearly the same, spicy hot can be adjusted to taste but the wonderful distinguishable flavor of the Caribbean comes through loud and clear and beautifully in this dish.
1 Tbsp Black Pepper, cracked
1 tsp Nutmeg, ground
2 tsp Allspice, ground
1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
2 Tbsp Salt
1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
3-5 ea Habanera Pepper (or other hot pepper), seeded and minced. (depends how you hot like it, remember, the seeds are where the heat is)
2 Tbsp Garlic, fresh, minced
1 Tbsp Ginger, fresh, peeled, minced
2 bunch Green Onion, chopped fine
½ cup Canola Oil
5 ea Lime Zest & Juice, zest lime first, then squeeze lime
¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
½ cup Dark Rum
8-12 pcs Chicken Thigh or Leg (any combination will do)
- In a large non-reactive bowl, combine the peppercorns, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, salt, sugar, peppers, garlic, ginger, scallions, oil, lime zest and juice, vinegar and rum.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and toss to coat, seal bowl with plastic wrap.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator and marinate the chicken overnight, up to 24 hours (at least 4 hours).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill on an oiled rack over medium-high heat until the meat is firm and the juices run clear and a thermometer inserted reads 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken to a platter and set aside for a few minutes before serving.