This is a wonderful condiment that can dress up many dishes. It is easy to prepare, lasts a long time in a squeeze bottle and is all around wonderful. Just be careful when reducing as it can easily burn by reducing too far and at the end it can happen without you noticing, keep a watchful eye.
2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup Sugar
- Add the balsamic and sugar in a non reactive sauce pot, I prefer stainless steel.
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer.
- Stir so sugar dissolves.
- Reduce till thick and syrupy. You can tell by placing a metal spoon in the pot and the back of the spoon should be thick enough that when you put your finger through it, you see a distinct line in the syrup.
- Be Careful not to burn. This will take about 30-40 minutes to reduce properly and will seem as though it is doing nothing. Then, at a point near doneness, it is easy to turn your back and have it reduce too much, just keep an eye on it.
- After removing from stove, cool till room temp and I like to put it into a squeeze bottle to have around because it goes so well on so many things and adds so much to so many dishes.